Timber windows can add character and charm to any home, but they do require a bit of maintenance to keep them looking and functioning their best. Follow this timber window maintenance checklist to ensure your windows are in top shape.
- Inspect the frame – Look for any signs of rot, damage, or wear and tear on the timber frame. If you notice any issues, have them repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the window.
- Clean the glass – Use a soft cloth or squeegee to remove any dirt, dust, or cobwebs from the window glass. For a streak-free finish, mix equal parts vinegar and water to create a natural cleaning solution.
- Check the seals – Make sure the seals around the window are in good condition. If they are damaged or broken, drafty air can come through the window, which can impact energy efficiency.
- Lubricate the hardware – Use a silicone-based lubricant to oil the hinges and locks on the window. This will help them function smoothly and prevent any sticking.
- Touch up the paint – If your timber windows are painted, check for any chips or peeling paint. Use a matching paint color to touch up any areas that need it. This will help protect the wood and keep your windows looking fresh.
By following these
simple steps on a regular basis, you can keep your timber windows in great shape and enjoying them for years to come. Proper timber window maintenance will also help preserve the value of your home and improve energy efficiency.